Glitchet - a free weekly future technology and art newsletter
Get hand-picked cutting edge technology articles delivered to your inbox for free, every Friday. No spam, no BS, and you can unsubscribe at any time. Over 200 subscribers could be wrong - but they're not.
/r/frontend - a community for front-end developers
Started in November 2014, /r/frontend is a subreddit I created for front end web developers who want to move the web forward or want to learn how. If you're looking to find or share the latest and greatest tips, links, thoughts, and discussions on the world of front web development, this is the place to do it. /r/frontend now has over 8,000 readers and covers everything from UI/UX design to deep, single-page applications.
Top 5 posts from /r/frontend this week:
@pixelsorter - an image-processing Twitter bot
@pixelsorter is a Twitter bot written in Ruby heavily utilizing EVA-01/pxlsrt and mispy/twitter_ebooks. It sorts the rows (or optionally columns) of an image according to a specific method like hue, red, brightness, luma, etc. Simply attach an image to your tweet (links to images currently not supported) and mention @pixelsorter. @pixelsorter will respond with an image that has been processed using one of a numer of random presets. Read detailed information on how to use it here.
Automata - cellular automata simulation
@secresea - anonymous secret-sharing Twitter bot
NovelFramer - natural language processing script that replicates the rhythm of existing texts
UI Engineer II
Working on core RetailMeNot web platform properties. Fixing technical debt, building new interactions, and implementing performance optimizations.
Managed, coordinated, and oversaw events, instruction, and curriculum for a 12-week intensive web-development program. Assisted and led strategic product and company decisions, instructed and developed curriculum on front-end topics and represented MakerSquare brand in business contexts.
Lead Front-End Developer
White Lion Interactive
Assumed more responsibilities in addition to development work including training and mentoring junior developers, oversight and consultation on multiple projects, organizing changes in internal processes, and recruiting/hiring outreach.
White Lion Interactive
Freelance Web Design and Development(May 2012 - May 2013)
Worked and working with various clients through Freelancer.com, Elance, and word of mouth to perform anything from minor alterations to entire site redesigns.
A/V Help Desk Workstudy
Maryland Institute College of Art
Responsible for instructing customers on the usage of equipment, administering fines, checking out equipment, as well as delivery, setup, and collection of equipment around campus.
Maryland Institute College of Art(September 2009 - May 2012)
Video and Film Arts
- HTML5 - Semantic, performant, cross-browser compatible websites, modern HTML5 APIs, progressive enhancement/graceful degradation, experience building WAI-ARIA / 508-compliant applications
- CSS and UX - Sass, modular CSS paradigms (SMACSS/OOCSS/BEM), grid-systems (Foundation and Bootstrap), responsive design, mobile optimization
- Libraries - jQuery, Underscore / lodash, and a vast number of others
- Frameworks - Backbone.js, Angular.js 1.3, Raphael.js, Ext.js + Sencha Touch
- Modern front-end tooling - Require.js, Modernizr + polyfills, NPM, Bower, Grunt and Gulp, Yeoman generators, Raphael.js (SVG) and Kinetic.js (Canvas), A+/Promises (q and native Chrome promises), Phantom.js, D3, Socket.io
- Backend Languages and experience - Comfortable with PHP + Laravel, Ruby + Ruby on Rails / Sinatra, and have worked briefly with Java and Python, familiar with RDBMS technologies MySQL, Postgres, and NoSQL platform MongoDB
- Excellent written and oral skills - Skilled at conveying complex topics to team members, writing technical documentation, or drafting friendly emails.
- Client-facing communication - Able to communicate with clients comfortably and explain technical concepts in a nontechnical way.
- Management and team leadership - Experience managing product direction, projects, and conducting 1-on-1s with multiple team members. Focused on workplace happiness, creative spaces and collaborative environments.
General technical skills:
- Project management / bug tracking: JIRA, Basecamp, Asana
- Version Control: SVN & Git
- Adobe Creative Suite: Photoshop, Premiere Pro, some Illustrator
- Familiar with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- A/V skills (I can set up your projector)